9/4/13

Emotional Abuse: Better Late Than Never

In a society rampant with emotional abuse no one even knows what it is. The people who do it most certainly don't know what it is. The silent treatment when someone you love needs to talk to you. That angry look. The condescending tone. I have become very conscious of my own behaviors. If I am out of line I'd like people to discuss it with me. 

We are all busy excusing our own behavior by saying, but somebody did blah fucking blah to me. There is no excuse for what this world has become. The closer you are to someone the more likely they are to take out their emotional and physical pain on you. Whoever or whatever wronged them is their excuse. Maybe it was you or maybe it was me but I'm sure whatever reason they have for treating someone else like shit actually happened especially from their perspective. That is the cycle of fear and abuse. Somebody hurt me and has power over me so now I'm going to hurt you. 

I want to break the chain. I want to end the cycle. Sometimes you just have to walk away. It isn't right not to tell someone why you are walking away from them. Everyone deserves an explanation when you want to exit their life. Especially when they are a huge part of your life. 

It keeps me up at night how I hear people speak to one another. We take ample time to tell other people what we think is wrong with them. We take very little time to tell them how we feel, that we love them, and how we won't stand to be treated. 

I feel like I'm skipping through time again. Each jump bigger than the last. I don't want to leave anyone behind but sometimes people you love just aren't on the same clock as you. You would rather stay mad than apologize. Being alone isn't so bad. When we feel we might hurt people, when we can't get our head screwed on straight. When we just prefer our own company to the constant struggle of communication between two people. 

All that struggle gives me something to write about when I'm alone. Writing is better than crying, it has more feeling of accomplishment. Life goes in cycles and maybe that's why we think the cycle of abuse fits. It never fits, it is not long for this world. Nothing good comes of poor communication with other people. Death, power struggles, and pain almost always come from poor communication. Stop trying to emphasize the words you say as if that makes them have more meaning and start trying to listen. Better late than never.

No comments:

Post a Comment