10/24/11

I Am Having A Hard Time

Dear President Obama,
My name is Jackie Lane. I am a 26 year old married cosmetologist in Toms River, New Jersey. I noticed lately I'm afraid to talk about politics, with anyone. Even with my closest friends who I've known for years and am reasonably confident I will agree with, I hesitate to start a discussion. There is so much hostility and so much propaganda in the media people don't know what to believe. But it is every American's right and duty to discuss politics. What is a vote if not your opinion on decisions being made? I don't know how it can be so blatantly obvious that the money being funneled into the Congress is effecting the quality of life for everyone, but we still ignore that there is a problem. Pollution of our air and water can not be avoided, even by the immeasurably wealthy. We have gotten rid of so many laws that protected our health and our safety all in the name of commerce and capitalism. Our government was designed to protect us from ourselves. Greed is the plight of every man. As people we feel good when we help others and are connected to community, that is what American life is all about. How can it be right to let CEOs make 1700 times their average worker? The worker is making the goods to be sold, or fixing the machines that make the goods to be sold, or performing the service, and the invisible figure at the top reaps the benefits. The world is not meant to work this way. Every unbalanced society will eventually come crashing down. America is a great nation because our system was set up to protect every man regardless of how much you have. Our system of checks and balances is no longer relevant because our world is being run by the rules of greed. A poor man who steals to feed his family can get years in prison while a business man who steals out of pure greed can use money to pay his debt to society. Lately when I talk about politics it seems more like the Prince and the Pauper or a Dickensian chapter. There is no work so vital, no job so hard that it is worth a million dollars for a day. We are suffering, we need help and emailing me every day asking for campaign contributions doesn't make me feel like you are a representative of me, it makes me feel like you are one of them. There should be no career politicians. I believe our politicians need to be active members of our community. I believe they should only be paid a reasonable wage and when their term is over so is the pay. Why did it ever seem like a good idea to pay people who are no longer performing their service? The only people being represented are wealthy. There is no such thing as a poor politician. Today there is no Hope. Today Change seems impossible. 


Share the Love 

No comments:

Post a Comment