11/8/17

We Are Anonymous. We are legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget.


This is literally one of my hands down favorite photos of all time. Taken a couple weeks after Hurricane Sandy. Kyle and I went to the Halloween store like we do every year to get more home decor and costume supplies before next year, but this time just to look. Instead of being bare and missing most of the good costumes. It was an ENTIRELY FULL costume store. The storm was on Halloween, Gram was convinced she would still be handing out candy apples over planks and puddles like the hurricane years of my youth. Good we didn't let her stay like she wanted to. We needed to buy something, we were also unemployed prior to the storm because of the economy crumbling. We were active internet activists. I had already started writing. Kyle helped me find live-streams to follow and got me screen shot capabilities and all kinds of other sources of information, like satellite images of The Island as I have always called it my entire life while no one else had power back yet but we did within 24 hours. People were out for 2 weeks. While I was on my computer circling peoples houses. Trying to figure out from the air which house is which. Finally seeing that even though it was still underwater, Grams house wasn't knocked out entirely by someone's bulk head that was the size of her house and washed up in the backyard.

So we had already made a joke song claiming to be Anonymous, while getting really into politics and trolling people online who were terrible. And these two weird goth kids, one a girl with short blue hair, wearing all black who were super nice joked up and down every single full isle and imagined being every costume left. I had never before in my life seen a full Halloween store because I always get there 2 days before. I suddenly realized that the families that open those stores must live the rest of the year on the money like people who work the boardwalk. We bought two very over priced, Thanks Capitalism, Guy Fawkes, aka revolutionary Stockholm syndrome, masks and left with a deep seated feeling of it being very wrong when you are right sometimes.

Until Next Time...

With Love,
      Jackie Lane

No comments:

Post a Comment