11/2/12

Feelings In the Wake of Sandy

I don't want to write. I don't want to cry. I don't know what I want. I want people to stop being assholes but I have no control over that. It only took 2 days for some of NJ to forget its most terrifying weather event in history. Especially for those not still actively reeling from it.  There is much ugliness about in this world. Tuesday I was impressed with people's thoughtfulness and consideration. Many friends have retracted their harsh words about people's "overreaction" before the storm. Still many diminish the suffering of others. 

In other parts of the country and the world there are already people mocking the devastation taking place. What benefit does mocking the suffering of others have? It certainly doesn't make your life any better. As a matter of fact it probably makes all the suffering worse, even your own for the negativity it will rain upon you. We do not need more anger on top of the devastation. There will be more and more anger as life goes back to normal for those of us unaffected and those who lost everything still linger in the breeze. Much like how our society has become about mourning a death. We all move on and forget about those who continue to suffer after the first week.

No comments:

Post a Comment